Add Three

This summer I had the opportunity to go all over Europe for World Youth Day. It was an amazing experience and I think about it almost every day. I went with some awesome people and some close friends of mine. One person on the trip with me, Father Preston, was a newly ordained priest, so we got to have mass in some awesome places! It was cool because I got to serve at some of these masses. During one Mass, in particular, something happened that remained me of ways I need to work on trusting in the Lord. 

One of the days we were there, we had the opportunity to have mass in the chapel of John the XXIII In the Papal Basilica of St. Peter in the Vatican. As my friend, Garrett, Fr. Preston, and I were preparing for mass we realized we didn’t have a good count for the number of hosts we would need. Because there were more people than just our group, we couldn’t make a good guess either. When it came time for us to prepare the altar I looked at Father and told him we didn’t really know what the number was. There was a bowl of hosts on the back side of the altar and we asked if we should add any. Father said, “add three.” I assumed he had a better count than I did, but I did not think just three would be enough. I hesitated, almost adding more, but I figured he must’ve known what he was doing. So, I added three and mass preceded like it normally would.

As we continued with communion, Garrett and I were kneeling beside the altar, and I watched as people received. At some point, Garrett noticed that someone who wasn't in our group joined us during communion. Some others had also joined us before mass started. I started to get concerned because Father didn't notice this. Even if he had a count before, it was different now. I remember telling Garrett that if Father didn’t start to break the hosts he was going to run out. The thing about Father Preston, though, is that as he is distributing the Eucharist he doesn't ahead to count the number of people left. Instead, he is fully present in every moment as he gives people the Body of Christ. I suspected that as communion ended Fr. Preston would run out, but he never did. So, I assumed there was more than enough, but when we back to the sacristy after mass, Father told us that there was none left. He had just the right amount. We were all a little amazed because there was no way for any of us to know how many to use.

I thought about this a lot since it happened and I realized in all, it wasn’t really a big deal. It was a small miracle compared to what happens at mass every time it is celebrated. For example, through the priest, God changes the substance of regular bread and wine into the True Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord, Jesus Christ. But even though what we witnessed at mass wasn’t a huge miracle, it did teach me a few things about trust. I realized after thinking about this that God is calling me to trust Him more in specific ways.

First, God is calling me to trust with everything. There will always be things that are out of our control, but God will take care of them. There was no way we could have known how many extra hosts to add. Once mass had started, it was out of our control, but I kept worrying about it. The time I spent worrying about it in mass, I could have used to thank God for the amazing gift of the Eucharist that was right in front of me or I could have used that time to pray for the people who couldn't be there with us. Instead, I used that time to worry about something I could do nothing about. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths.” Trust in the Lord with ALL THINGS. God tells us that there are some things that are out of our control, and He calls us to let go. Ask God to Help you trust in Him with everything. Ask Him to set your heart on fire for Him, and then start living like He did, and He will answer your prayers. “Do not fear. Only believe, and she will be saved” (Luke 8:50).

Second, God is calling me to trust that He is guiding me even in small things. Sometimes the Lord doesn't ask much of us. “Add three,” He says. Three is not a big number, but it was just the right one. I have a deep desire to do big things and sometimes I think what I'm doing isn't enough. God is calling me to leave these worries and trust that where I am now is where I am supposed to be. God calls me to trust that even the smallest of things have a purpose. Mother Teresa said, Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” Sometimes we are called to small things, but all things we do need to be done with great love. Luke 16:10 says, Whoever is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much; whoever is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much.” There might come a day when God asks you to give a lot, and it might be hard. So, we need to practice with small matters. Start by just adding three. Most of the time, God is just asking us to take the next step. You'll know what that is when it is time. It might just be asking the next question. It might be applying for that school. It might even be as simple as making a phone call. Trust in God and take a small step forward.

Third, God is calling me to trust in Him with obedience. I often ask God to guide me, but then I find myself trying to do it my own way. Luke 22:42 says, “Father if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done.” Jesus was completely obedient His Father. In mass, Father told me to add three. If I would have added any less or any more, it still would have worked out all right, but because I added the number he told me, it was perfect. It was just right amount! Luke 1:38 says, Then Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’” The Lord called to Mary and she was completely obedient to Him. Sometimes God asks us to do something a different way than we would have done it on our own. Maybe His way is not as direct. Maybe it will take a longer amount of time. Maybe it's with people you wouldn't have chosen for yourself. Maybe it doesn't make any sense to you at all. It doesn’t matter what your excuse is, God’s reasons are far better than yours. So, trust in him. God will guide you to the where and when and how, but have to let him.

Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.” St. Pope John Paul II

Just my thoughts
Go with God
Duncan.
Here are some pictures from that mass: 
           










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set the world on fire

Greatness

We Only Have Today