No Excuses

“No Excuses” is probably the most beautiful song on the album. The way music goes with his voice and progresses is chilling, and almost breathtaking. Go listen to it! Then, do it 20 more times! The author of the song says he wrote it about himself. If you listen, a lot of his songs are like this. You could also look at this from God’s perspective. I'll add that in for each part. Let us see what we can find.

“I've got this feeling in my bones that you find a solace in shadows. I don't want to find out you're going 'round my back. Why you want to bring me these sorrows?”

If you can feel something in your bones, you can feel it deep down inside you. You can feel it at your core. This new part is interesting, “That you find a solace in shadows.” I think this is saying that they will find comfort in a dark time. It could also be talking about finding comfort in hurting someone else. This is hard for me to understand, but there have been times when I have been mad at someone for the way they were acting and in order to make myself feel better I act in a mean way to them. If we think about God saying this to us, it makes more sense. How many times do you do something that would offend God, but you get comfort out of it? Remember: We weren't made for comfort, we were made for Greatness. “I don't want to find out you're going 'round my back. Why you want to bring me these sorrows?” It hurts when you find out that someone is trying to hurt you.

“’Cause there are no excuses for what you're doing.”

Well, this is pretty clear in my opinion. Sometimes when I do something to someone, I always try and find the excuse for it, or justify that it was okay, and on the other hand, people try and make excuses for something they did to you. This lyric points out that really, there aren't any excuses, especially if it is to God. We can't make excuses.

“Girl, I've been your lover since high school. Everything I did, I did for you. If you're going to tighten this rope around my neck, girl, you better know I'm going to fight it.”

Now, he says “Girl,” but this can be applied to anyone. This part could apply to anyone you've been a friend to or cared about for a long time. However, when looking it from Christ’s perspective, the high school could be seen as the time in which one might mature and start to make their our decisions. When you truly care about someone you give them everything you have and you do a lot for them. Obviously, you can see that Christ literally did everything he did, for you. Yes, individually for just you as a person. He suffered, died, and rose again for only you. He did this because he Agape's you! “If you're going to tighten this rope around my neck, girl, you better know I'm going to fight it.” Maybe you do have that person who is pushing you away. If you really do care, then fight it. Make sure they know that it's not going to be easy to push just push you away. Let them know you care. This is so clear when it comes to Christ, he fights and keeps loving us no matter what we do to him. I hurt him so much, yet he always allows me to come back.

As I was writing this I was meeting with some guys, and we were reading from the Catechism of the Catholic Church and what we read reminded me of this: “Freedom makes man responsible for his acts to the extent that they are voluntary. Progress in virtue, knowledge of the good, and ascetics, enhance the mastery of the will over its acts.”
This just really fits me because it says, “Freedom makes man responsible for his acts.” There really isn't an excuse. You make your own choices, and when you do you have to live with what happens after that. Maybe you'll lose a friendship, maybe its money, or even someone else' life. Just remember: in every situation, every person has the ability to make their own choices or timshel. (if you don't know what it means, look it up)


This one is a little shorter, but I think it says so much. Jesus loves you so much, and we hurt Him every day. There really isn't any excuse for it. I need to stop and just start trying harder to love like him.

Just my thoughts

Go with God


Duncan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set the world on fire

Greatness

We Only Have Today