Cold Showers

“Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.” – St. John Paul the Great. 

            For the past 50 days, some friends of mine and I have been trying to achieve true freedom with something called Exodus 90, you can click on that to find out more. Exodus 90 is a program to help men overcome addictions, build a stronger bond of brotherhood, and grow closer to God. For 90 days, you are supposed to give up a list of about 15 things. One of the things on this list is hot showers. I have always hated cold showers. They make me uncomfortable. I almost didn’t even do that part of the program because of that, but I chose to give it a try. The first week I failed. I would have the water colder than normal but still, it wasn't cold. I didn't see the point. Finally, in week two, I decided that if I was going to do this I was going to do it 100%. So, I started slowly. I would change the temperature of the water every few seconds so by the time I was done it was really cold. I still hated it and didn't see the point. If I have hot water, then why would I not use it? However, one day we had our weekly meeting with our spiritual director and he said something that changed the game for me. I don't even remember exactly what he said, but I do remember thinking why am I letting my body control my actions? Why am I a slave to hot showers? As stupid as this sounds, that’s what it got me to thinking.
             
            How many times in life do we let ourselves be owned by something? I know it is different for everyone. Maybe it's money, maybe food, maybe lust, or greed. Maybe it is the idea of being liked or fitting in. It could even be school, or work, or friends. Think about it – I’m sure we all have something that owns us. Some of these things are not bad and are even good for us in moderation, but we can’t let them own us. 

No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.” Matthew 6:24 

If we are letting something own us or dictate how to spend our time, how are we to do what God wants? Being truly free does not mean doing what you want. I want to take hot showers, I want to eat a whole package of Oreos, I want to spend all my money on stupid things that won’t last. But those things do not make me free. I am truly free when I can say no to things I want. When I can control my body into not only taking a cold shower but enjoying it. There is something about it that denies the body of a comfort in this world and says there something beyond this life. Yes, it is a sacrifice, but that’s kind of the point. Christ gave the Ultimate Sacrifice on the cross, Christ gave his life for love of you. Being truly free means having the ability to do what should be done, or to say no to something that shouldn't be done. Just because you have chosen to do it doesn't mean it should be done, and it also doesn't mean it’s okay.  

Somethings in life are going to make us uncomfortable, and that is okay. Sometimes the things that make us the most uncomfortable are the things we need the most. Going to confession makes me uncomfortable. I do not like saying what I've done out loud, but I know it is good for me. Saying no to what everyone else is doing can be uncomfortable too, but sometimes that is what we have to do. If you want to be truly free, not a slave to sin, you need to have discipline. Start with the small things – like taking cold showers or fasting. Once you gain a better sense of self-mastery, you will be able to say no to the bigger things, whatever that might be for you. Discipline is not just required for a good spiritual life, but for life in general. You need discipline to get good grades, to have a good job, to be in long lasting friendship, or to be in a marriage.

“The world offers you comfort, but you were not made for comfort. You were made for greatness!”
This quote is often attributed Pope Benedict XV, but in reading, I found out that he did not actually say it. He said things like this, but what he actually said was probably closer to was this:
“Man was created for greatness—for God himself; he was created to be filled by God. But his heart is too small for the greatness to which it is destined. It must be stretched.”
I like this one better because it goes well with what I used for the definition of greatness in one of my other posts, called "Greatness." Greatness is a natural ability. We all have greatness within us.
“Greatness is begotten not made. It is not made by sheer effort, but is born in lives lived in love for God and love for others.” —Jason Craig 

God has already given you the greatness you need to overcome life’s obstacles. It's already in your heart, but you have to stretch your heart to accept the greatness that you are destined for. You are destined for greatness. Freedom consists in doing what you should and not what you want. The ability to be truly free and say no and yes when you should is the beginning of greatness! 

Just my thoughts 

                                                                       Go with God. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Set the world on fire

Greatness

We Only Have Today